Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Homemade Dryer Balls

Homemade what?

Well folks, I know that you use these already...
Found on www.sweetadditions.net
And there are PLENTY of great uses  for them. BUT I found this on some blog and thought it would be great and easy to make! I used this tutorial for guidance, with a little help from this one as well, but I originally found the idea here. VERY simple. I made these while I caught up on the sermon that I missed last week. It's a mindless job and great for doing in front of the TV or on a conference call...

ANYWAY! Here's my take on them. I used wool yarn instead of wool roving...just because it seemed easier I guess, but I'd like to take a stab at both to compare.
(And look at the neat things you can do with roving!)
Thanks to www.happygreenbabies.com


I got some 100% wool yarn in two pretty colors, blue and purple on sale at Hobby Lobby.

I made the starter balls.

 The tutorial shows tucking the end of the yarn under with a crochet hook...well, I don't have one so I improvised ;)

I also kept getting VERY frustrated because as I was winding the ball, it would fly out of my hand. So I had to get creative and find a better way to hold it. I just couldn't pinch it well enough with my left hand, but this did the job!

The end result! (before washing) Thankfully I had some knee highs I don't use to wash these in.

After finishing, I realized that here are the only things you need to make these (+washer and dryer and pantyhose to wash in). The blue will go around the outside of the purple.

I wrapped the blue yarn around the purple starter balls and washed/dried as above and ended up with this finished product:

I learned they should go through a hot wash and dry at least 2 times to make sure they're felted enough to not come apart. They're still in the knee high since I'm still working on felting them, but here they are and I love them!! Although one got taken to PA with my parents after getting stuck in my dad's sock. Gotta watch out for those!

Next time I'll try roving, but let me know if you try them as well!

2 comments:

  1. Ok ok, I'm so confused... Do these take the place of the dryer sheets?? I've heard of people doing this before, but never understood how they work I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they do replace dryer sheets. You might've heard of people throwing tennis balls in the dryer to help dry things faster. These are just less noisy ;) They're nice because instead of always buying dryer sheets, these are a one time investment that you'll have for years! Plus, you get to make DIY something, which is always fun!

    ReplyDelete